Monday, August 9, 2010

Basil pesto


James and I have never been fan's of pesto but I think it's because we've only had jarred junk.
I had some fresh basil on hand and thought I would give this recipe a whirl, I'm so glad I did because now we're pesto fans!
I got this recipe off just cook already.
(My computer is being weird and isn't letting me add links.)
Fresh Basil Pesto
2 1/2 - 3 C basil leaves, gently packed
3/4 C fresh Parmesan cheese (use grated)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 C pinenuts, toasted
1/2-3/4C extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt
a few cracks pepper

Place everything but olive oil in a food processor. (For the salt, start with 1/4 t and add the rest at the end. The final amount really depends on the saltiness of your cheese, so give it a taste first.) Give it a few pulses until things are chopped up.

Slowly pour in olive oil while processor is running* until you reach the consistency you want.

Boil a couple handfuls of spaghetti.

Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes
1 pkg cherry tomatoes
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
kosher salt

combine balsamic vinegar and oil in a bowl.
marinate cherry tomatoes in mixture for at least 1/2 hr.
Place on foil lined cookie sheet and broil for 10 minutes then add some kosher salt and you're ready for a treat.

No comments: